THIS MESSAGE IS ABOUT THE
ACBSP™ CHIROPRACTIC SPORTS SCIENCES SYMPOSIUM!
With a little about the Written Exam
And a little more about the Practical exam
And a small mention of the upcoming website
Be excited… Things Be Happening
Here is the April update:
We have a symposium next weekend! We have speakers! We have Abstract Awards! We have a SCOTY! Wait…we have 2 SCOTYs – 2020 and 2021! The symposium committee of Rachel Bryant, Matt Hartsburg, Tyler Infield and Tom Young have worked hard to bring the most up-to-date information from the best speakers, who are old and new friends to the party. We thank Melissa Nagare and Brent McGahey for bringing the technology needed to present this fabulous show!
Danged COVID! There, I’ve said it.
As a result, we couldn’t get together in person and that’s what we do. But we also value knowledge—another thing we do. So, we are bringing you the updates you need to stay ahead of the game!
The 2021 ACBSP™ Chiropractic Sports Sciences Symposium will kick off (login starts) at 9:00am MST (mountain time) both 24 and 25 April, Saturday and Sunday. After a short president’s message, presentations begin at 9:30am MST; be sure you are logged in early. Presentations end at 5:00pm MST each day.
- Dale Buchberger (old friend) is the Saturday morning lead-off batter as he reminds you that an orthopedic test on a 25-year-old means something entirely different on a 60-year-old.
- Jim Eubanks, DC, MD (new) is a specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Jim will show you when it is time to surrender and refer those tough cases, and when you should press on with what you are doing in sports chiropractic, as this is YOUR CASE to fix! Jim was a DC who returned to medical school to gain knowledge from both perspectives.
- Is your energy down? Megan Chacosky (new) helps you navigate RED-S (Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport). A Registered Dietitian, Megan gives you tips for your athletes but also tips to help with YOUR training!
- LUNCH-ish: Do NOT take a walk UNTIL after the 3 Abstract Awards and 2020 SCOTY presentation!
After lunch, we meet a personal friend of mine:
- Walt Stoy (new to you). Walt will update you on the changes in E-med and the changes in oxygen administration (yup, you do not always get O2 anymore).
- Mary Collings, (new speaker and old friend) the first SCOTY recipient for the ACBSP™, will share working in the professional sports world in Crossing the Blue Line. Mary was the first sports chiro EVER to have a professional sports gig!
Saturday will end with another personal friend:
- Casey Hummel (new). Casey will explain FDM, Fascial Distortion Model, the missing puzzle piece to your soft tissue work.
Take a breather! Zoom with friends. Enjoy your Saturday night….
Return Sunday morning for round 2:
- Pat Helma (new and old) will wake us with morning exercises at 9:30am, making your back line quake as you activate muscles that have been dormant for years!
- Aimee Kimball (new) will help protect YOUR mental health and that of your athletes’ during these times that have become so “interesting?”.
- Tom Young (new) will teach you Sideline Documentation; be ready when events re-open.
- LUNCH-ish: Again, do not leave! STAY a few more minutes! We have 3 Abstract Awards and the 2021 SCOTY presentation!
After lunch, coming into the home stretch:
- Andy Klein (old, not really old, just old friend) shows you how to progress and regress exercises.
- Steve Gould (new) takes you through sports x-ray as you’ve never been! Steve’s presentation is 2 hours, but I’m confident he will give you a break.
JOIN US at the 2021 ACBSP™ CHIROPRACTIC SPORTS SCIENCES SYMPOSIUM Saturday and Sunday, 24-25 April for this great weekend full of updates, fun and true sports education! Go to acbsp.com to register. You can check out speaker bios on the website. Here is the link.
Imagine all of the sports chiropractors being up to date on concussion at the same time! It was with this in mind that 12 additional CEU hours became part of the symposium package. This is offered online as the concussion course through the ACBSP™ website (known as asynchronous learning). You will have until July 31st to complete the additional 12 hours for state CEUs. Those who have taken the concussion course since September 2020 have already received an email with additional information. Contact the national office, if needed.*
The next CCSP® and DACSBP® written examinations will be administered through computer-based testing on Saturday, 1 May 2021. Registration is closed for these exams. Practice tests are being set up. If you have not set up your practice test, please email/contact Cindy. Your patience is truly appreciated as she receives up to 300 emails a day and will respond as soon as possible. Remember, Google Chromebooks do not work for testing; have another option for the practice and actual tests. Most important: Send your positive thoughts to the candidates testing!
The DACSBP® practical exam has been scheduled. The test will be administered in Dallas, Texas, 25-26 June 2021 at Parker University. Registration is open and further information is available on the ACBSP™ website. There are specific COVID-19 protocols in place. Please read them to ensure your eligibility for the testing procedure. If you email Cindy with questions, please refer to the note in the preceding paragraph.
Congratulations to our newest board of directors! Drs. Joel Dekanich and Bill Moreau were elected to serve the next terms of office—July 2021- June 2024.
The new website is almost here. Stay tuned for a special announcement on this.
The ACBSP™ is working to make the specialty field of sports chiropractic stronger through solid testing and increasing public awareness of the sports chiropractic!