“The ACBSP™ shall require certificants to demonstrate evidence of training to recognize, reduce and respond to all misconduct in sport (i.e. SafeSport, or comparable program) every four (4) years as a requirement to maintain certification.”
Dear ACBSP™ Certificant,
We have watched and listened to the news over the last two years regarding the horrible abuse of young athletes in various sports and at universities.
SafeSport evolved out of the revelation of these disturbing situations, which involved abuse of young athletes by doctors and coaches whom they trusted. SafeSport is an investigative organization and will explore any case of reported abuse of young athletes. Ms. Katie Hanna, from SafeSport, was a presenter at the 2018 ACBSP™ Chiropractic Sports Sciences Symposium. Ms. Hanna provided a strong message about our role regarding the protection of our athletes and patients.
The ACBSP™ Board of Directors unanimously approved of a change to our annual CEU requirements for the CCSP® and DACBSP®. Beginning January 1, 2019, all ACBSP™ certificants will be required to have the SafeSport certification. The ACBSP™ will require this certification to be updated every two years. This certification can be obtained online with a minimal fee to SafeSport. SafeSport is considering creating a new certification for sports medicine practitioners, but until this occurs, please complete the existing online course.
Thank you for having the fortitude and integrity to stand with our young athletes and to provide a voice for them and another level of protection of their health and rights.
ACBSP™ Board of Directors
Instructions for SafeSport sign up
The U.S. Center for SafeSport online training program has officially launched to individuals outside of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic movements! We are glad to have you on board with this important training.
You can now register for our online training. Please follow these instructions to get registered:
- Go to www.athletesafety.org.
- Click on “Training” from the homepage or from the “Menu” in the upper left of your screen.
- Select “SafeSport Trained” from the catalog and “Add to Bag”
- Select “Checkout”.
- You will then select “Register” to create your account and profile. Fill out the required information. (Note: you can select “not affiliated” for Membership.)
- An email will be sent to you to confirm your account. Open the email and click “Confirm Email Address”. You can then sign in.
- Once you’ve signed in, you can purchase the course from your shopping bag in the top right corner.
- Once you’ve successfully purchased the course, you will be able to complete it from your “Learning Dashboard”.
If you experience any technical difficulties while taking the training, please contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-676-6417. The Help Desk hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. EST, and Saturday and Sunday, 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST.